Floating Images Hot A Read more [...]
Discover the intriguing & colorful history behind the Australian opal & opal mining industry.
The Brisbane Opal Museum is a collection of opal specimens, opalized
fossils and rare photographs.
Opals have played an important role in Australia’s culture & history. Come and find out for yourself how it all unfolded….
Once you enter via our underground mine you will see….
Types of opal found in Australia and around the world.
– How opal is formed and why there is colour.
– Opalized fossils.
– Photos of how opal has been mined over the years.
– Different mining techniques used today to unearth opal.
– How opal rough is turned into a cut and polished stone.
– Photos of opal jewellery by world renowned jewellers.
Listen to the stories of…
– The largest opal ever discovered (and then stolen),
– The legendary Hayrick’s Opal mine.
– How opal is priced.
– The history of opal in Australia through the ‘boom and bust’
times. And much more!
Free 10 minute tour